Some people could say that the single best thing about Chicago are the restaurants…so many amazing ones that it would take several lifetimes to visit each and every tasty spot.
Now that we are a family of 3 dining out has taken on a whole new meaning for us. It is a luxury when we can dine out as a pair, so we often look to restaurants that are kid friendly and enjoyable for us as well. My biggest hang-up about kids menus is the fact that they are always loaded with junk food options. The usual suspects are chicken nuggets and fries, hot dog, grilled cheese and pizza. I have yet to see a kids menu featuring a veggie, however I think my hunt may finally be over or at least filled with a few more options than before.
Some of you may have heard of the Healthy Fare for Kids Initiative, however this is something I am new too, yet amazed by this wonderful program! Their mantra is simple: A grass-roots initiative asking restaurants to offer healthier food for children on their menus – http://www.healthyfareforkids.com
Here is a list of restaurants involved in no particular order. Let me know if you check one out and how you like it.
1. Flavor 180 – South Loop spot at 1511 S. State
2. Nookies – not all Nookies are created equal – this healthy fare menu is at their Edgewater location: 1100 W. Bryn Mawr
3. Brown Trout – North Center hot spot – 4111 N. Lincoln – (Kids eat free Wednesday – Sunday from 5-7)
4. Feast – Bucktown – 1616 N. Damen Ave
5. MK – River North – 868 N. Franklin
6. Terzo Piano – Modern Wing of the Art Institute 159 E. Monroe
7. The Publican – West Loop/Fulton Market – 837 W. Fulton
8. City Provisions – Ravenswood – 1818 W. Wilson
If you have any additions to this list that you have discovered on your own, please leave a comment telling us about it.
For your real estate needs and beyond look to your Chicago Real Estate Family, The Yeager Team, every time.