It is hard for me to stop thinking about the horrific shooting that happened in Connecticut today. We get up in the morning and send our kids off to school or day care and go to work or head back home. We trust in these organizations that our kids will be safe while they learn and grow. After the shocking devastation that happened just hours ago I want to look deeper at the safety measures schools and child care facilities are taking to keep our kids safe and sound.
I think we as parents need to dig deeper and make sure the safety measures that are in place are being executed. The teachers that instinctively locked doors and helped the fortunate children to hide today are hero’s. How will this incident effect schools all over the country. Will there be training and continuing education for teachers and staff if this were to, God forbid, happen closer to home. It is hard to anticipate a crazy person with guns blazing will enter an innocent school and start shooting, but it is an unfathomable reality.
For Chicago Public Schools there is a 72 page research report which was last published in May of 2011. I have included a link to this document which everyone should read and ask your local school questions about it. I have also included more information how CPS trains their teachers and staff and what accomplishments they have made.
Whether your kids are in public school, day school or private school. Make sure the schools are on top of their safety measures to keep your kids safe.
Give your kids (and mom, dad, spouse, siblings, your family) an extra hug and kiss tonight and thank God they are safe in your arms. Pray with me for those that had devastating loss today.
Click to access SAFETY%20IN%20CPS.pdf
School Safety and Security
School Safety and Security is responsible for developing and implementing programs and strategies to improve the safety and security of CPS students, personnel and property.
There are many different programs to assist schools in improving their safety and security, including the annual training for all CPS security employees. Safety and Security manages CPS’ relationships with other law enforcement agencies and the Chicago Office of Emergency Management and Communications (OEMC-911). Safety and Security also coordinates and delivers security to several CPS administrative sites.
We strive to reduce crime and disorder on CPS property; continuously monitor and evaluate conditions; strategically deploy security personnel and technology; and ensure compliance with reporting and investigative requirements. Current goals that further this objective include:
- Increase security personnel training attendance by 10% annually over 5 training dates
- Ensure CPS compliance with the State of Illinois School Safety Drill Act
- Increase deployment of security personnel and equipment to schools
- Ensure the investigation of major incidents involving CPS students, staff, and/or property
- Act as the primary liaison between CPS and to external Law Enforcement agencies
The following initiatives support our goals:
- Install or upgrade security video systems at schools with high incidence of violence
- Implement non-violent conflict resolution training for security personnel
- Deliver a “Child Lures” curriculum material to elementary schools to educate principals, staff, students and parents about the many dangers facing children at home, at school, on the street and on the Internet
- Open additional security positions at schools in need, and re-deploy security positions to maximize the benefit to schools
In pursuit of the objective of improving the safety and security of Chicago Public Schools students, staff and property, we have accomplished the following goals in the past year:
- Provided the Chicago Police Department and the Office of Emergency Management and Communications access to CPS IP-based security camera systems monitoring campuses
- Implemented a Chicago Police Department grant to allow School Officers stationed in CPS high schools with access to the CPD Intranet, for the purpose of improving reporting and intelligence sharing
- Provided additional personnel and equipment resources for 10 high schools and 19 elementary schools in need
For your real estate needs and beyond look to your Chicago Real Estate Family, The Yeager Team, every time.
- THIS WEEKEND! Holiday Fests and Fun!
- Happy Holidays 2012